Wednesday 10 June 2009

Are you sitting comfortably?



Day-to-day I work with many clients who are at the mercy of numerous postural issues.



Dealing with these people I feel it comes down to basic math. Training with me for one or two hours per week always has a positive effect. However, that leaves a possible 166 or 167 hours per week to undo all my good work.



Even if you went away and did another couple of sessions on your own during a week - stretching, doing your self-myofascial release and performing the appropriate corrective exercises the amount of time most of my clients spend sitting down in front of a computer or driving is enough to make them tense and tight.



Interestingly enough it only takes 20 minutes for a muscle to adaptively shorten. Therefore, regardless of how much you train, sitting on your ass for 40+ hrs per week is gonna take its toll!



Therefore it is my recommendation to all to practice some behavioural modification. This involves sitting up straight (I can see you!!!!), moving around regularly when doing computer work and drawing your shoulders back to sit in better posture.


Combine this with a few stretches while you get up to get one of you eight glasses of water per day, and you will be making the most fantastic progress in no time at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment