Tuesday 31 July 2012

Do YOU Have Time To Exercise?


One of the most common barriers to exercise is often time.

With the stresses and strains of the real world nobody seems to have any ‘spare’ time. 

This thought however is tempered by the understanding that time is the great equaliser. Young or old, rich or poor, male or female, we all only have the same 24hrs a day.  This begs the question is how do busy people find the time for exercise? 


The truth is its about priorities. If you value exercise, or more importantly value the results of the exercise, you will be driven to make time. 

This will sound rather mean to those that don’t exercise and feel they can’t find the time, but my experience of working with many busy mums and businessmen has taught me one thing - if it’s important you will find a way. If not, you’ll find an excuse.


By making it important I’m talking about having a clear goal and a strong reason to achieve it, you will be driven to succeed because it will be of high value to you. 

Furthermore if you are engaged in the process and enjoy the experience it’s amazing how you can find the time to fit it in.

I will further counter the challenge of time by suggesting that exercise doesn’t need to take an hour. In the last couple of months I have helped more than 50 people get fitter, leaner and lose weight with only 15 minutes exercise a day. And I haven’t even met them!


The people who have followed my internet-based plan are all busy people but have managed to integrate this fifteen-minute daily exercise habit along with healthy eating to achieve amazing results. I guess it helps that I’ve made it a bodyweight exercise plan that anyone can participate in regardless of their fitness level and they can do it at home before or after work with no equipment. 

I also feel alongside the strong message (all you need to do is exercise 15-minutes a day and eat better) and simple application the concerns of these people were legitimised by social proof (I have many walking talking adverts of the success of my plans), they had someone to answer to and a strong support network (I set up a forum for them to check into daily so I could coach and advise) I was tracking there results weekly to keep them accountable. This all helped to make the process more engaging and successful.


My point is not to sell you my plan. But to demonstrate we all find time to exercise a challenge. Before you start a plan you will struggle with energy, motivation, fear of competency, fear of failure. But if you look beyond time and consider some other very important aspects such as selecting the correct modality, surrounding yourself with the right people and embrace the process it becomes very doable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment