Wednesday 13 June 2012

The Wall: What, How & Why?




|’m less than three weeks away from my big race this year. I’m not as fit as I’d hope to be at this stage, but either way on the 23rd June I’ll be on the start line ready to take on my biggest challenge to date.

The Wall is a 69-mile ultra distance race from Carlyle to Gateshead following Hadrian’s Wall. Aside from the fact it’s a bloody long way, it’ll be hilly and most of it will be off-road. 

I’ve fielded many questions during my training from people trying to understand what, how and why. So here it is...

We’ve already answered the what. It is the equivalent distance of nearly three marathons done in a one-off effort and its not exactly flat. I should really mention at this point I’m not the only one who is doing it. It is a race, but to be honest aside from the small handful of experienced athletes competing for top spot many of the people participating in this race are simply looking to finish.



You’ll probably be surprised to know ultra distance running is quite a popular sport. In the last couple of years it has gained a little bit more exposure in running magazines and with this comes greater participation. 

Slightly different from running a 10k, half-marathon or a marathon, ultra’s are considered anything over 30-miles and usually cover a variety of terrain. The challenge is to cover the set distance in the quickest possible time or in my case just finish...

To do this most racers will use a strategy similar to what the army call tabbing. Therefore my strategy is to run the flat sections, walk the hills (fast) and run the downhills. This takes a certain amount of discipline especially when you’re tired.

I’m planning on running at approx. 5-miles per hour across the whole day which would see me arriving in Gateshead in 14hrs. Whilst this doesn’t sound fast for a typical runner you must consider the distance and terrain.

For me it’s more of a personal challenge. I am fascinated with what my body can do. Aside from the obvious physical competencies required to complete an ultra (you need to be able to run a fucking long way...) is the battle you have in your head.


I’m inspired by the maxim Know Thyself. Attributed to various philosophers throughout history, Plato and Aristotle are considered to have discussed the finer points. To me it means to better understand myself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. A bit heavy, eh? You did ask! 

I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and appreciate (more often in hindsight than at the time...) understanding how I responded at different stages in training, in preparation to race day and the race itself. I feel this makes me a better person.

I actually enjoy the freedom and isolation you feel from running this kind of distance. It’s kind of liberating. Being miles away from home, out of reach of mobile reception and left to your own devices is strangely invigorating.

I enjoy the camaraderie with other runners. Ultra distance racers are a humble bunch and racing at this tempo for this duration you end up speaking to people from all walks of life. Many of whom have raced all over the world and have a great story to tell.

During this race I will undoubtedly reach a point similar to ‘the wall’ in a marathon and I will have to keep moving if I want to finish. At this stage you need a strong reason ‘why’ and I use a variety of methods to get leverage on myself. 


A mantra I first used on my six-marathon Trans Britain race and which served me well in Ironman France last year ‘Relentless Forward Motion.’ I’m not sure why this appeals to me but I write it on my wrist and it keeps me going.


On the other wrist I’ve also taken to writing a happy thought. This allows me to get a sense of perspective if the wheels fall off and things don’t go to plan. During my training and racing for Ironman it was often the thought of EJ and William. At the time we didn’t know if William was a boy or a girl and he was affectionally known as Ralph. He still gets called that nowadays.

I also try not to take myself to seriously and value fun and humour so you'll notice the phrase cardio's for fat people. This is something my buddy TR says to me when I go out running...

Other methods to keep my head strong include smiling and thanking marshals - I always feel despite what I go through I should express gratitude. And pulling funny faces a photographers.



So there it is... On the 23rd June I’ll be running the length of Hadrian’s Wall. I’m also raising money for a fantastic charity. Check it out www.justgiving.com/Steve-Keywood


Thanks to everyone for the good luck messages.


I’ll keep you updated...

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog post fella - very different reasons to me for doing it but sorta the same. I try not to think about it. My surgeon told me last year that I shouldn't run... this will be my first proper running event. That's how to stick two fingers up at authority! Best of luck with the 14hrs.

    ReplyDelete