Tuesday 26 May 2009

Gym Etiquette and Expert Tuition


Training at David Lloyd in Woking this morning, it really did dawn on me quite how bad commercial gyms are.

A couple of weeks ago the sports manager, (whatever the hell that is?), ventured out of his office on a quiet Sunday evening to ask myself, and my training partner Tom, to put our shoes on whilst using the squat rack for safety reasons. After highlighting the absence of protection an Adidas training shoes offers to a falling 20kg weight plate and the biomechanical reasons for not wearing ones shoes whilst squatting, said manager, made a passing comment with regard to gym etiquette as he went back to his office to shuffle papers.

On the occasion aforementioned there were only myself, Tom and another friend of mine Scott training in the gym. This morning on arrival at David Lloyd, Tom and myself were greeted at the gym with what looked like a scene from a BT phone in. I think one out of three people present were on the phone at some point. Both Tom and myself remarked as to where the sports manager was to enforce gym etiquette this morning!

As you would expect it is not unusual for me to see some horrible sights in the gym. I respect the gym manager for encouraging gym etiquette (all be it misplaced!). I don’t suppose two guys lifting heavy weights properly are the easiest to approach – but when it gets busy he was nowhere to be seen.

Now far from me to criticise my fellow users, as I don’t know exactly what they were training for. However, after casting my expert eye over them I think many were training for backache, boredom and pulled muscles (due to bad form!).

I thought when you pay £77 per month to use a facility they would at least show you what to do and keep an eye on you to check you were able to use it safely.

It begs the question why fill gyms with treadmills? In short because they are idiot proof. It takes very little skill to operate that machinery and once you’re on there, there is very little that goes wrong.

To teach a person to lift weights takes time and effort – clearly none of which had been applied.

They are clearly more interested in enforcing unnecessary rules, than investing in its patrons.

This obviously sets up a number of business opportunities for me…

Firstly, when the guys who have been badly advised hurt themselves training badly they will need my sports massage therapy to get them right.

Secondly, when they get fed up with not achieving their goals as they are not training effectively perhaps they could consult me to write them a program.

And finally, when the people on the treadmill realise that continuous steady state cardio will not help them achieve their dream figure. Perhaps they will give me a call, and I can do as I do with everyone else, and coach them through the right movement patterns to achieve their desired results.

With this in mind, who do you know that wants to change body shape by the summer? Who do you know who is bored of the treadmill? And whom do you know who wants proper direction in all aspects of health and fitness including exercise, nutrition and lifestyle coaching?

I am not criticising David Lloyd in particular. I have trained at LA Fitness, Woking Leisure Centre, Fitness First and David Lloyd is the best of a bad bunch. However, if you want real results consult a real professional. Refer me today and do your friends a favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment