Thursday 21 May 2009

Fiennes climbs to Everest summit


This morning I was really pleased to read that, after failing at his two previous attempts, Sir Ranulph Fiennes had made it to the summit of Mount Everest.

At the ripe old age of 65, Ran became the first man to cross both the planets poles and scale the world’s highest peak. Quite an achievement considering he is old enough to draw his pension!

Its efforts like this that put everything in perspective.

Many people I meet have consigned themselves to old age. They say I’m past it or I’m too old for all that…

Sir Ranulph Fiennes achievements are even more impressive when you think that in 2003 he suffered a heart attack and had to have a triple heart bypass.

From all that I have read it is motivation that wanes before the body gives way. People tend to stop moving, which leads muscles to atrophy and various joints disorders.

I appreciate that Ran has always showed excessive feats are possible – but all over the world you can see similar equally impressive efforts regardless of age.


Have a think about any adventurous ambitions that you may have. Access to remote parts of the world is a lot easier these days. I will help you get fit enough. You just need to supply the ambition…

1 comment:

  1. Ranulph Fiennes came to Oman a few years ago as the speaker for a meeting I was at; very impressive and the determination was tangible – congratulations to him

    ReplyDelete