Thursday 31 May 2012

A Healthy Carbohydrate Consumption...


Contrary to popular belief I am neither low carb, no carb or pro carb. 

Over years of working with people I have got fantastic results on low carb plans and I have got people fantastic results without even looking at macronutrients.

Perhaps for those who are after a radical transformation and have a relatively sedentary lifestyle I would suggest they limit starchy carbs. This is because even in there most natural form they are energy dense and whilst I never encourage my clients to count calories if fat loss is a goal this is relevant.

Strangely enough this works the other way too. I have taken part in a couple of the worlds most challenging ultra distance races and never carb loaded nor did I count calories.

My general emphasis is always around food quality. The cells in your body are composed of the foods you eat day-to-day and so if you are nourishing your body with lots of wholesome nutrients this invariably is enough to bring about a fantastic change in health, body fat and performance.

This being said a hard and fast guide to healthy carbhydrate consumption will allow you to maintain maintain a healthy weight and feel good too.

What are the best types of carbs?

Emphasis is always on eating a ton of low-starch vegetables and greens. This stuff is always packed with a variety of vitamins and minerals and relatively low in calories. With a healthy dose of fibre this will help maintain a healthy digestive system and has a negligible effect on blood sugar. Both of which are important for maintaining a low body fat.

After this sensible use of starchy vegetables such as potato, sweet potato, swede, parsnips and butternut squash is the name of the game. These are best eaten with protein (meat, fish or poultry) to lower there impact on blood sugar. Think roast dinner...

You will find an abundance of contradiction around eating grains. I have found rice in any way shape or form to be fine. I actually feel white rice might be better for you than brown. This is because it contains less phytates and this is a challenge for your body to digest. When eaten in a sensible proportion to protein white, brown or basmati can all fit well into a healthy diet.

An area of similar contradiction is fruit. Fruit is sugary and whilst it contains nutrients I express caution. Eating it on it’s own will spike your blood sugar and can cause you to store fat. In my opinion timing is everything with fruit. Eaten around exercise (either an hour before or an hour after) is not such a problem. Just monitor your appetite when you do. If you eat it and an hour later you are ravenous you perhaps need to avoid it.

Other areas you need to be aware is with porridge. This is a carb but due to it’s fibrous nature can actually be slower digesting. Similar to the advice on fruit you will need to monitor your appetite with this.


Finally, time to state the obvious. Processed carbohydrates such as pasta, bread, breakfast cereals, cakes, biscuits, chocolate... I’m not fan. These are very high in energy and low in nutrients. I tend to substitute these with wheat-free rye bread, wheat-free oat cakes or ryvita. These in my opinion are a good alternative.

If you have any questions head over to my Facebook page or Twitter (@SteveKeywoodPT) and just ask...



No comments:

Post a Comment