Saturday 31 July 2010

How Do You Prepare For a 156-mile Footrace?


With less than six-weeks to go until my six-marathon challenge many people have been asking how my preparation has been going and what I’m doing.

When it comes to ultra distance training there seems to be no single best way to train.

With this type of challenge one aspect seems clear – I need to spend time on my feet!

In essence we get good at what we do most of - this is called The Training Effect.

Spending time on my feet (or for the layperson going out running?!) for extended periods of time will develop my body’s ability to take in and use oxygen efficiently and develop my body’s ability to become fuel-efficient. Going out and doing it (so to speak…) will toughen my feet, give me a chance to test fueling strategies (as I will be running up to 8hrs on one of the days) and allow me to try out equipment.

Due to the nature of the challenge preparation is important. On shorter single-day events you might get away with a pair of shoes that rub, or running with an upset stomach after taking a gel that didn’t agree with you. On a longer multi-day event these small issues can have much bigger consequences. Therefore practicing under race conditions is important.

How much running I do seems to be the multi-billion dollar question…

Exactly how much running I do and how I do it is governed by my ambition and strategy for the race, my previous experience, how much time I have available to train and what state – physically, mentally, emotionally – I am prepared to finish in (and how long I am prepared to recover!!)

One aspect seems clear to prepare for such an event you need to: Run. Lots. Consistently.

Therefore in answer to the question how do you prepare for 156 mile footrace? Honestly? I don’t know…

As my coach Andy Mouncey has said ‘the right combination for you?............. is the right combination for you’.

What I do realise is there are huge advantages to going long in training (20-miles+) and many other mental and emotional factors will come into play…

Bring it on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment