Sunday 7 February 2010

What does a Personal Trainer eat?

This week in preparation for a course this weekend I was asked to fill out a food diary. It’s not something that I have done for a long time and it proved to be a very interesting exercise. Needless to say I did not need the countries top sports nutritionist to cast his eye over it to tell me that I can improve in certain areas.

Most people will look at this and think it is very good. Sure its packed full of natural foods (aside from the fruit cake and the chocolate!!) and I appear to eat at regular intervals. However, the accompanying section which measured my reactions to foods (appetite, fullness/satisfaction, sweet cravings, energy levels, mental/emotional well-being) before, immediately after and two hours after was fairly revealing.

Of late I have been training really hard and at times (particularly in the afternoons) I felt hungry and tired. I attribute some of this to my poor sleeping patterns and erratic working hours. Certainly food for thought…

Monday

8.50am – Porridge Oats w/ Rice Milk and 2 Scrambled Eggs
10.50am – Small handful of Almonds and a small handful of seeds and a Pear
12.50pm – Large slice of Fruit Cake (post training!!!)
1pm – Two Trout Fillets w/ Small Jacket Potato and Spinach Salad
4.20pm – Small handful of Walnuts and a small handful of seeds and an Apple
7.45pm – Red Thai Curry (homemade: Rib Eye Steak, Asparagus, Green Beans, Mushroom, Sweet Corn) w/ Basmati Rice

Tuesday

6.55am - Porridge Oats w/ Rice Milk and 2 Boiled Eggs
8.50am - Small handful of Cashews and a small handful of seeds
11.30am – Tin of Tuna on Ryvita w/ Mayonnaise
1.30pm – Diced Tuna Steak in 2 Wholemeal Wraps w/ Cherry Tomatoes and Mixed Salad
4pm - Small handful of Walnuts and and a Pear
7.20pm – Chicken Breast wrapped in Bacon (with garlic) w/ Stir Fried Asparagus, Green Beans, Mushrooms and Courgette
9.30pm – Green and Blacks Creamy Milk Chocolate (A small bar!!!)

Wednesday

6.50am - Porridge Oats w/ Rice Milk and 2 Boiled Eggs
10.10am – Small handful of Almonds and a small handful of seeds and a Banana
12.30pm – Two Trout Fillets in 2 Wholemeal Wraps w/ Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach Salad and a raw Carrot
17.50pm – Apple
9.30pm – 3 Lamb Steaks, mashed Potato, Carrots, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Gravy

Thursday

6.45am - Porridge Oats w/ Rice Milk and 2 Boiled Eggs
10.15am – Small handful of Almonds and a Pear
13.15pm – Two Chicken Breasts, Mixed Salad, 1 hard-boiled Egg, Olives, Cherry Tomatoes
4pm - Small handful of Cashews and a small handful of seeds and an Apple
7.30pm - Red Thai Curry (homemade: Turkey Breast, Green Beans, Mushroom, Courgette) w/ Basmati Rice
9pm – Left over Thai Curry!


Just to let you know everyday I supplemented with fish oils and a good quality multivitamin. I also trained hard everyday.

I found myself eating when I wasn't hungry, having the occasional sweet craving, certain meals filled me up, I experienced peaks and troughs in my energy, I found I was waking up tired every day... Again I can attribute this to my poor sleeping patterns last week but being aware of this means that I can work to improve it.

Needless to say I eat better than most! I am looking at making some changes so will give it a month and repeat the process. I will keep you updated.

If you are interested in doing the same thing email me and I will forward over the diary. I will even spend 10 minutes looking at it if you wish…

No comments:

Post a Comment