Tuesday 25 August 2009

A Healthy Eating Revolution



Do you plan tomorrow’s food today?

Do you sacrifice experiences you once enjoyed to eat the food you believe is right?

When you are eating the way you are supposed to, do you feel a peaceful sense of total control?

If the answer was yes to the above it seems you might be suffering from a ‘touch’ of Orthorexia!

Featured in the guardian last week, Orthorexia Nervosa is described as a "fixation on righteous eating". The condition was named by a Californian doctor, Steven Bratman, in 1997, to reflect the increasing number of people presenting with this condition.

Figures from the National Centre for Eating Disorders suggest the condition affects equal numbers of men and women, but sufferers tend to be aged over 30, middle-class and well-educated. They are solely concerned with the quality of the food they put in their bodies, refining and restricting their diets according to their personal understanding of which foods are truly 'pure'.

I do agree some people take healthy eating too far. And if badly advised it can be to the detriment of their health. However, the fact remains that restricting sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods from your diet at certain times can lead to far greater sense of wellbeing. Furthermore, eliminating pesticides, herbicides or foods that contain artificial additives that’s just common sense right?!?

I commonly get chastised for selecting a healthy food or drink. Its not a major issue for me as I like to feel good and understand what I’m doing. But havent society got it all wrong???

The foods that cause many people issues with health and wellness are all present and correct in the aforementioned lists. Sure, if a person develops overly obsessive behaviours surrounding foods to the point where it causes them become obsessed and causes severe psychological stress they need help. So where is the line between healthy eating and obsession? Steve Bratman has made a quiz!?! (http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/08.02.01/eating3-0131.html)

Based on the questionairre, I have a touch Orthorexia Nervosa. I suppose along with anyone who has aspirations to to achieve a desired bodyshape, optimum performance or achieve good health. How can planning your food be an indication of an eating disorder?!?

It is common for me to experience hostillity when I choose to eat better than someone. It is common for me to experience a voice of concern when I decline a bit of cake. The truth I feel is that those people feel threatened and recognise the shortfalls in their diet. This I feel is there problem.

I don’t feel socially isolated. I feel liberated. The foods I choose to consume make me feel good.

It does cause some friction on occasion. However this I feel is where to quote Deanne Jade, founder of the National Centre for Eating Disorders, "modern society has lost its way with food". (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/aug/16/orthorexia-mental-health-eating-disorder)

I recognise restricting foods to the point of malnorishment and socially isolating yourself to avoid being compromised is a psychological illness. However, restricting certain foods to achieve a desired goal is not. Surely the time has come for those who constantly select sugary refined foods to experience the hostility. They are the ones with the issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment