Tuesday 21 February 2012

I Was Wrong: Time To Just Be


I’ve come to the conclusion I might of been wrong all along.

Sitting in Starbucks last week with William I learnt a valuable lesson.

We had been out for a run in the morning, went off to watch one of my young clients play tennis and ventured in to Guildford to pick up some coconut oil.

Obviously after all this action daddy and Will needed a rest. We popped into a coffee shop and invested in a vanilla spiced latte and a classic blueberry muffin.

Sitting on a comfy chair watching the world go by and spending some time with William was fantastic. He is now fifteen weeks old and spends his time between naps and filling nappies babbling and smiling.

It is genuinely exciting to watch him develop. Most days I come home and he is up to something new. And here in lies my brand new revelation...

I have always loved coffee. I’ve always loved the taste, the smell and the culture.

...it is perhaps this last point that is most important. In our lazy Sunday morning wander around the shops of Guildford and our hour or so sitting and relaxing in the coffee shop I felt the most relaxed ever.

The moment of creamy vanilla spiced deliciousness created a disconnect second to none.

Relaxing there amidst the aroma and gossip watching people struggle to stand up on those beautiful cobbled streets reminded me of whats important in life.

It really is nothing to do with the coffee. I guess it can be anything for anyone. I suppose some people enjoy a glass of wine. Taking time to just ‘be’ is what it is all about.

Over the last few years I have sought experiences, spent time building my business and studied. It has been great. But taking the time to just ‘be’ is something I need to practice.

I suppose I find a certain amount of disconnect in exercise. I can turn the phone off and escape the hustle and bustle of the world for an hour or so, I also like to spend time on my sofa watching films with EJ. These are things I need to do more.

I guess if it involves drinking coffee so be it. The classic blueberry muffin is just a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment