Thursday 14 July 2011

I exercise, I do Pilates.


I’m not the biggest fan of Pilates. I realise I go against the common belief of many doctors, physiotherapists, osteopaths and chiropractors on this one, but in my experience I have not seen the incredible results that Pilates promises.

Part of my issue with Pilates is the way it’s taught. Perhaps I haven’t found the right teacher or class for my clients, but in my experience Pilates is practised lying on your back in a dark room listening to soft music. I realise the need for relaxing exercise, but this invariably leads to poor form, minimal transference to day-to-day activities and a class full of lazy people that would probably get greater benefit on their feet learning how to move properly (i.e. doing a good squat, deadlift or inverted row).

However, adopting the Bruce Lee approach to training I tend to use what works and disregard what doesn’t. One thing that I have found that does work is the fundamental principles Pilates follows.

The Pilates principles include:

Concentration – visualisation and mental focus are essential to gain muscle control.

Control – quality movement is most beneficial and less harmful to joints and muscles.

Centring – stabilising the abdomen, lower back, hips and buttocks or ‘the powerhouse’, is the focus of strength, stability and ‘core’ control.

Fluidity – graceful flowing motion is required in the early days of most exercise programs, with no static, jerky or rushed movements.

Precision – purposeful movement with good body alignment develops better muscle patterns for everyday movements.

Breathing – applying breathing pattern assists movement rhythm and control.


I integrate all the principles day-to-day with the people train. Applying the concept of torso stability and coordination is not restricted to those that lie on the floor in dark rooms – it can be applied to bigger compound movements in just the same way and, if correctly taught in a progressive and intelligent manner, can develop the same smaller stabilising muscles just the same as Pilates.

By integrating the Pilates principles into your training program – regardless of whether you are bootcamping, PTing or god forbid Body Pumping – you will see your progress double, and all this without having to lie on the floor in the dark for an hour and calling it exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment