Saturday 11 December 2010

Shopaholics Anonymous



It is that time of year.

The time of year when I get dragged around the shops…

All my favourite shops have queues… **

However, one thing that fascinates me at this time of year is this.

Most women are PETRIFIED of strength training. Yet when it comes to carrying bags full of shopping they don’t seem to worry. I regularly train using heavy weights, weighing over and above my bodyweight, yet after just 30 minutes shopping I am dragging my heels and losing the will to live.

EJ on the other hand, who is normally a very girly girl, and struggles to take the bin out, can manage numerous shopping bags for hours on end with not a care in the world. Incredible.

H&M, Boots, The Body Shop, Waterstones, Debenhams, Primark, H&M (again!) …these shopping trips are relentless!

It would be easy for me at this stage to highlight the benefits of strength training for women such as improved body composition, a well-balanced physique or an injury-free lifestyle, but I wont. However, I attribute this superhuman feat of strength and stamina to one thing. MOTIVATION!

Instead I will simply say that the motivated woman (or man!!) can do anything they want. That might involve dropping two clothing sizes and having the figure they always wanted, this might involve changing the way they look or feel and having the lifestyle they always dreamed of, or in this particular example it might involve speed marching around the shops with 40kg of Primark in each hand!!

My point is this being motivated to do something is the difference between your ability to do something or not. If you have strong motivation (or indeed a goal or target) you are more likely to do it. You just have to decide what you really want.

The motivated people WILL find the time to exercise, the motivated people WILL eat healthy, and the motivated people WILL achieve their desired figure. They just make the decision.

* The picture at the top is one of my shopaholic Bootcampers Jan. She has clearly made an outstanding effort to try and empty Primark.

** My favourite shops are Nandos, Café Central & Starbucks!?

No comments:

Post a Comment